Ahhhh theSkimm… my favorite email I get every day in my inbox (except Saturday and Sunday of course, a girl’s gotta take a break for weekend brunching and naps).
Let me set the scene for you…. I wake up to my four back-to-back alarms, all one minute apart with annoying ringtones to snap me out of whatever work dream (nightmare?) I’m having. I throw myself out of bed towards the kitchen to get the coffee started. With my cup of heaven (aka Nespresso) in hand, I shuffle back to my room and crawl back into bed. Turning the brightness allllll the way down on my phone, I open up my email. Squinting at it with one eye, I take a sip (more like gulp) of my coffee and instantly giggle at theSkimm’s email headline for the day (hehe “My Humps”). I open it up and dive in, saying a silent prayer there will be a book recommendation at the bottom :)
Disclaimer: If you don’t know what theSkimm is, click HERE and sign up immediately. Trust me, you will thank me. Your brain will thank me. Your future husband (or current husband) will thank me. Your career will thank me.
I’m a book nerd and I’m totally accepting of it! So when I see a book recommended by theSkimm (aka my career girl idols) I have to immediately get it! Sometimes if I’m having a insanely busy morning and can’t read the whole email I’ll at least scroll to the bottom to see if a book is recommended at the end :)
Now I will say, I have not loved all of the books (truthfully I have really disliked a number of them), but I will keep loyalty reading each and every one mentioned because a book recommended by theSkimm beats me blindly searching the internet for one. Plus it helps me broaden my reading genres.
Without further ado, my honest reviews of six books recommended by theSkimm, ranked in order from “I must have all of my girlfriends, family members, and coworkers read this book!” to “OMG drop this book like it’s an old ex-boyfriend and never look back!”:
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah from 12/11/15 email – 5 out of 5 stars! (LOVEEEDDDD <3)
- The Martian by Andy Weir from 12/23/14 email – 5 out of 5 stars! (So so funny, but make sure to read the book before seeing the movie!)
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins from 1/23/15 email – 4.5 out of 5 stars! (It had me hooked and I didn’t see it coming!)
- Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter from 9/5/14 email – 3 out of 5 stars. (Meh, I could take it or leave it… but the setting was nice)
- In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware from 10/30/15 email – 3 out of 5 stars. (Not enough excitement, I actually fell asleep reading it a few times)
- Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll from 6/5/15 email – 2.5 out of 5 stars (HORRIBLE! Seriously don’t waste your time!)
As you may know, I’m headed to the Bahamas in less than a month (eek!!!) and books are the first thing on my packing list (I warned you I was a nerd). Back on 6/12/15, theSkimm described The Rocks by Peter Nichols as “if you need a smart beach read, this is it”. I’ve been saving it for the perfect beach vaca and now is its time to shine!
Have you read any books recommended by theSkimm? Please tell me I’m not the only one this obsessed with them :)