When life hands you lemons… or when Trader Joe’s doesn’t sell lemons individually so you have to buy a whole bag… make lemon bars!
They’re ideal for those long Fridays in the office when all you want to do is be outside frolicking in the nice weather… but instead you are stuck working away. Have a lemon bar for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if you wish! You’ll have more than enough to devour and to share with other depressed coworkers… the coworkers you like that is :)
Let’s get right down to it! This recipe is super simple, requires very few ingredients (my favorite kind of recipe) and makes a killer lemon bar.
Ingredients (makes one 9×9 sheet):
– 2 large eggs
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 1/8 cups flour
– 1/2 cup softened butter
– 2 juiced medium sized lemons (if you wan’t them a bit more tart, add a bit more juice)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. With a mixer, combine 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 cup flour, and 1/4 cup sugar. Press crust into the bottom of a 9×9 greased pan. I suggest a bit extra “grease” for this recipe. There’s nothing worse than a lemon bar crust stuck to the bottom of a pan, if you ask me.
3. Pop it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the crust begins to brown slightly.
4. While the crust is cooking, whisk together the remaining ingredients (2 large eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/8 cup flour, and juice from 2 medium lemons). The whisking will make the filling light and fluffy on top!
5. When the crust is done cooking, pour the filling overtop it and carefully place it back in the oven for 20 more minutes or until the center is cooked through and looks firm.
6. Top with sugar, dice up, and start chowing down! Remember, lemons are good for you :)
Any other great lemon recipes I should try? I still have more than enough lemons to make things! Maybe a lemon cocktail would be a tasty treat this weekend :)