I’ll admit it… I’ve become a bit kale obsessed. I jumped on the trendy bandwagon.
Now I’m that crazy lady searching for the best bunch of kale at Whole Foods and have bags of kale take up half of my fridge.
If you’re reading this and thinking, “blah, kale is so tough and bitter”, then I’m about to rock your world!
You must massage your kale. Yes, massaging will make it softer and sweeter!
Before using kale in a recipe, give it a good wash and cut out the ribs. Then all you have to do is start massaging for about 30 seconds. Take the kale in your hands and play with it like play-dough, squeeze it like warming up cold icing, or kneed it like dough (sorry, I can’t think of any other examples haha). After 30 seconds you will see the leaves darken, shrink in size, and become softer.
The scientific reasoning for this is that you are breaking down the cellulose structure. The unscientific reasoning is that everyone/everything is sweeter after a good massage.
Because kale is now a staple in my daily diet, I’ve been trying out new recipes :) Here’s my favorite of the week:
- 1 whole wheat pita bread (make sure there are no hydrogenated oils in it)
- 2 cups kale (ribs removed, washed, and massaged)
- 0.5 cup cooked quinoa
- 4 tbs. spicy hummus (I used Cava spicy hummus from Whole Foods)
- 3 tbs. crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbs. chopped almonds
- 2 tbs. dried cranberries
- 1.5 tbs. Greek style feta dressing from Trader Joes
- Cut the pita bread in half and toast
- Stuff each half with kale, quinoa, hummus, goat cheese, almonds, dried cranberries, and top with a drizzle of dressing
What are your favorite kale recipes? I have a whole bunch of kale left that needs a good use!