Picture this, you have no phone for 10 minutes (I know, scary!).
Either you have to update your phone to the new iOS or you’re waiting for a meeting to start in a conference room… what are you going to do with just your computer for those 10 minutes? Will you surf the web? Scan Facebook? Twiddle your thumbs? What about doing something actually productive?!
Here are 5 things to do during that time with just your computer that will actually be productive!
1) Clean up your desktop
For all those times you thought, “oh, I’ll just save it do my desktop really fast so I can find it for my meeting today”, and then your desktop looks as if your folder files have exploded just a week later? Yeah. Take just 10 minutes to put all the files in their appropriate folder homes, or trash ’em.
2) Take out the trash
My virtual trash accumulates faster than my actual trash at home! Two quick clicks and that trash is gone.
3) Clear out your email draft folder
Lately I’ve gotten into the habit of creating a new email with just the subject filled in (ex: Updated Washington Post ad creative) to remind myself that I need to send the updated ad creative to the client. Although this is a great way to remind myself, it’s also the fastest way to generate 20 drafts clogging my email. Go through and clear it out! Chances are 99% of the drafts can be deleted, and the other 1% is actually something you completely forgot about that should be dealt with (whoops!).
4) Clear out your inbox
My work email is filled with things I need to hold onto, but my blog email is filled with things that can easily be deleted. All of the different “like” and “comment” notifications are just cluttering my inbox and keeping me from seeing any pressing emails I need to reply to. The less emails I have in my inbox, the better I feel!
I’ve realized all of my tips so far have revolved around “cleaning up” in some way or another. So, I figured this last thing should be something fun!
5) Email your friends and set up a play date (aka happy hour)
I’ve found it’s much easier to email my friends during the work day than to text (does that officially make me a grown-up?). I don’t always have my phone with me in meetings, but I always have my computer. Send out a quick note to friends and set up a play date for Thursday night happy hour or Sunday morning brunch. Everyone else will have their computer with them so they can easily check their calendars and reply back! Boom, you’ve got mail and plans :)
No more twiddling your thumbs waiting for a meeting to start or staring at your dead phone. These 5 tips will keep you busy the whole time you’re waiting. And if it’s a work meeting you’re waiting on, this will make you look to your boss like you’re doing very important work (but really you’re planning mimosas on a rooftop somewhere in DC).
What productive things do you do when you’re stuck with just a computer?