You know that mouth watering feeling of finding a recipe that looks so delicious you could eat the picture?
That’s what this dish did to me!
Then you know that heart breaking feeling of realizing there are too many ingredients, steps, and minutes needed to actually make the said recipe??
That was also what this dish did to me…. until I got a bit creative :)
Many moons ago, years actually, I picked up one of those Publix Aprons recipe cards for a coconut poached salmon dish.
This is how it went down on aisle two:
*walking through Publix, recipe card catches my eye, mouth begins to water*
“Oh boy, that salmon looks delicious!”
“I’ve never had poached coconut salmon before. I bet I can make this!”
*flips recipe card over to explore more*
“What on earth is a leek? And where do I find shallots??”
*the sparkle in my eye quickly fades*
“Wait… it’s going to take me 20 minutes to cook the rice alone??”
“Welp, looks like I’m not going to be trying coconut poached salmon anymore…”
*toss the card into my purse and make a note to throw it out later*
Fast forward to earlier this month when my parents mailed me some things I still had stored at their house. Guess what turns up? The coconut poached recipe card shoved inside of a Cook Yourself Thin cookbook (that I used once in my life I think… I really had high hopes for my cooking skills back then).
Now that I’m older, slightly more kitchen literate, and that picture on the front of the card still looked so delicious… I put my cooking knowledge to the test!
How could I make this meal, but cut down on the time and ingredients needed?
A working girl doesn’t have much time when they come home from work late and have a starving boyfriend hovering over the stove. I improvised! Minute rice and a few ingredients voted off the island later, I had a simple (yet still delicious) version of the recipe!
And the rest is history.
I’ve made this dish about four times in the last month and every time I devour it before I remember to take blog photos (story of my life with recipes).
FINALLY I present to you the most delicious poached coconut salmon and asian veggie recipe ever! Well worth the years I waited to finally try it :)
- 1 lb. salmon
- 1 bag minute rice
- 1 bag frozen Asian vegetables
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced leek
- 1 can diced water chestnuts (because you can never have enough water chestnuts)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (because freshly grated is overrated when time is of the essence)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large sauté pan bring vegetable broth, coconut milk, leek, red pepper, ginger, salt, and pepper to a boil.
- Add salmon (cut in half for even cooking) and cover; simmer gently for 8-10 minutes.
- When salmon is fully cooked, remove from pan.
- Add frozen vegetables and extra water chestnuts to sauce and increase heat to medium/high for 5 minutes.
- Pop your minute rice in the microwave and cook per package instructions.
- When vegetables are soft and the sauce has thickened, serve fish and veggies over rice.
What recipes have you finally mastered that initially were overwhelming?