Miami weather may not have received the memo that it’s fall (we actually have a hurricane headed directly our way, evacuation planning in progress), but my kitchen sure has!
As I walk through the grocery store and see the pumpkins and squashes, all my tummy can think about are warm bowls of festive goodness that can be made out of them :)
Hence this fall themed pasta dish filled with butternut squash!
I usually can’t convince my health-conscious boyfriend to eat pasta, but I made sure it was whole wheat and hidden beneath heaping mounds of veggies and chicken so he wouldn’t realize. I’ve gotten tricky over the years because I love pasta too much to cut it out completely.
There is one other secret to this tasty dish… a drizzle of maple syrup.
Yes, I said maple syrup!
The sweetness of maple and the butter-y-ness of butternut squash (pretty sure I made that word up) come together to make a heart warning, tummy filling bowl of deliciousness.
Of course this recipe includes kale because I seriously can’t get enough of it lately! I’ve thrown it in my chicken sausage and white bean soup, homemade juices, and the lemon caper salmon recipe I’m sharing on the blog next week.
- 2 chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 butternut squash (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 4 cups kale (washed and torn, ribs removed)
- 2 servings of pasta (whole wheat angle hair)
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. maple syrup
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. butter
- Pepper (to taste)
- Cook pasta based on box directions and set aside.
- Combine olive oil, butternut squash, and chicken in a large sauté pan over medium heat until chicken is fully cooked (approx. 5 min).
- Add kale, maple syrup, lemon juice, and pepper and cover on low/medium heat until squash and kale have softened (approx. 5 min).
- Stir in pasta and butter.
- Serve and enjoy!