My weekday mornings are pretty hectic. 5am alarm clock. A few work emails and blogging before heading to the gym at 6:30am. After that, it’s time to shower and get dressed for work by 8am. Then I run downstairs to make the boyfriend breakfast and am out the door by 8:30am.
Sometimes (most of the time) my morning goes by faster than expected and there’s frantic breakfast cooking that occurs as I chug the my third cup of coffee and try to track down my keys before that 8:30am departure.
I don’t know why I never thought of make-ahead egg muffins before. Full credit goes to my mother for sharing her recipe! Every Sunday evening my fridge gets stocked with egg muffins so that I don’t have to do any breakfast cooking during the work week.
All the boyfriend does is throw three on a plate, pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, and then pop them in his mouth :) Usually there is no silverware used… and commonly no napkin. But hey, if he loves it (and I save 10 minutes every morning) then I’m a happy camper!
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup spinach (tear each leaf into 2-3 smaller pieces)
- 1/4 cup cooked and crumbled bacon (could be substituted for any type of meat, or none at all!)
- 2 tbs. milk
- 3 tbs. chopped onion
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Sprinkle of shredded cheese
- Pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
- Grease muffin tin and fill 2/3 of the way with mixture
- Pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes (until cooked through and the edges start to slightly brown)
- Remove from oven, let cool, and store in a sealed container in your fridge
- When ready to eat, put a few on a plate and heat in the microwave for a few seconds
There are so many different combos you can make! Switch the bacon for ham. Add in tomatoes or peppers. Use kale instead of spinach. Seriously just look in your fridge and start throwing things in! It will turn out delicious, swear.
It’s only Sunday afternoon, which means you still have time to make these too before the busy work week begins! Your hectic morning schedule will thank you :)
How do you simplify your morning?