The big day is tomorrow! I remember thinking, “oh my goodness, this trip is months away” when the boyfriend and I originally booked the Bahamas. Now, it’s upon us!
Did I get everything on my to do list done that I wanted to do? Nope… but I’m ready to go anyways!
When it comes to a big trip, I make 3 different lists. One list of things to pack (ex: don’t forget undies), one list of things I need to get ready the week before (aka: the purpose of this post), and one list of things to verify right before I walk out the door for the plane (ex: make sure all the lights are turned off and the (sometimes forgetful) boyfriend has his passport).
Today I’m sharing the 8 things I’ve made sure I’ve done the week before a trip to make for a stress-free vacation!
- Go to CVS for travel essentials – Contact solution, mini toothpaste, cold meds (just in case!)
- Empty out all unapproved flying items from my purse – Pocket knife (seriously I’ve had mine confiscated in airport security two times already while they yell “ma’am, do you have a knife in your bag??” and all the other people in line take a big step back from me… I’m sure I’m on some list somewhere)… liquids…. mace…. hey I live in DC! It’s scary!
- Contact my credit card company – The last thing you want to do is be trying to order a piña colada on the beach and be told your card isn’t working because you forgot to alert the company that you would be traveling out of the country. You will be sad AND thirsty!
- Clear photos on my phone/camera so I have space – This is usually a task that takes a night or two. I sit in bed with a glass of wine swiping through all my photos and establishing which ones I could live without. It’s a fun walk down memory lane as well!
- Clear out my inbox on all three emails – These emails pile up in just a few hours of being out of the office… let along being out of the office for three days! Having them cleared out to begin with helps to make them less overwhelming when I return. But let’s be real, even while on vacation I still read all my emails. I don’t want to be too caught off guard when I return!
- Remind coworkers about my travels – The last thing you want is your boss calling you wondering why you aren’t in the office or other sending you requests while you are out. Set up your OOO auto-reply as backup, just in case :)
- Do laundry and dry cleaning – I not only need clothes for the trip, but I also don’t want to come home to a laundry basket overflowing. That is not the way to make for a smooth transition back into the real world!
- Send all travel information to my parents – Even when I’m 40 years old I feel I will still be sending my parents my flight info, hotel number, and 4 different phone numbers they could reach me on in case of an emergency.
There you have it! This list clearly isn’t everything…. you need to get a mani/pedi, get your hair done, and buy new swimsuits before a big trip as well, but those are obvious things right?
Vacation is supposed to be relaxing but, as I said yesterday, until I’m on the plane with a Delta beverage in my hand I will be a busy busy bee!
What do you always make sure to do the week before a big vacation?