Being a Florida girl, I’m used to having to be swimsuit/sundress ready no matter the time of year! You could find me on the boat Christmas morning or on the jet ski New Years day (seriously… Florida is amazing).
But now that I live “up north” in D.C. things have changed a bit. There are now 4 solid months where I have on multiple layers, never expose my legs, and my skin barely sees the light of day. You know what that causes? A bit of a slag in my workout routine… because hey, no one will see me.
New Year, new motivation!
Just because I’m not showing off my bikini body in the dead of winter doesn’t mean I should let it slide under the layers of clothes. If anything, staying on top of my workouts will help the winter months fly so I can get back to sunshine, crop tops, and swimsuits!
Staying fit doesn’t mean you have to spend hours at the gym ever day and only eat salads (I would die if that were true). A few simple changes can make it easy.
Here are my six tricks to staying fit (without trying) during winter:
1. Plan ahead. Don’t let your reason for not going to the gym be because you didn’t plan well. Not having time should never be an excuse (You have as many hours in the day as Beyoncé and Tay Tay)! If you have plans after work, wake up an hour earlier to get your workout in before going to the office. Which brings me to my next point…
2. Get extra sleep. Your muscles need time to recover and you need to build up energy. Kill it at the gym and then go to bed early enough to get a full nights sleep! Always think about what time you need to get up so you know when you should plan to hit the hay the night before.
3. Workout, even if you only have 10 minutes. Staying in the habit of working out daily will decrease the chances of you getting into a slump and skipping the gym (goodness knows I use the “I only have 10 minutes, might as well skip today” excuse too many times). Routine, routine, routine. Just that 10 minutes of activity will benefit you more than you know!
4. Stretch before and after a workout. This will make your workout worlds better by increasing your range of motion, decreasing pain, and helping your muscles recover faster so you aren’t as sore the next day (win, win, win).
5. Drink loads of water. Staying hydrated will not only make your workout stronger, but it will keep you fuller throughout the day so you don’t mindlessly snack (I struggle with that a lot, especially when I’m at the office). Plus if you have a cute water tumbler, you’ll want to sip on it all day long!
6. Workout anywhere! You don’t have to get dressed and go to the gym. You can turn your living room or bedroom into a gym. You don’t even need weights! There are so many different workouts you can alter depending on where and what you are working out. There’s no excuse! Pinterest is your new workout best friend.
So yes, winter can be no fun. And yes, as I do my 100th crunch at the gym I’m picturing myself laying out at the beach getting a tan with a piña colada in my hand… maybe in a few more months. But until then, I will keep it up!
How do you stay fit during winter when your motivation may be a bit lower due to the forgiving nature of leggings and layers? :)