9 days ago I’m fairly certain each and every one of us made a vow to “eat healthier in 2017”. But of course there was leftover Christmas candy, that tasty donut shop down the street, and maybe some late night snacking only seen through the refrigerator light.
But it’s not too late to get back on track, and just because you are trying to eat healthy doesn’t mean it won’t be tasty as well. It’s all about balance :) Which is why this plate full of healthy greens is balanced with whole wheat pita.
The next time you’re starving, but want something that does’t just have empty calories (ex: those red and green M&Ms still in your kitchen), spend 10 minutes making this healthy snack instead.
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 3 tbs. chickpeas
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 whole wheat pita
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice the pita like a pizza, into 8 triangles
- Drizzle 1 tbs. olive oil over pita and lay out on baking tray
- Put pita into oven for 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown
- While pita is baking, add 1 tbs. olive oil to a pan and add spinach
- Cook over medium heat until slightly wilted
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, chickpeas, and salt/pepper
- Use your pita chips to scoop up the lemony goodness and snack away!
Not photographed, but added after the fact was fresh goat cheese :) If you are craving a bit of creaminess, add fresh cheese or non-fat plain greek yogurt.
What healthy snacks do you whip up when your tummy is growling? Have you been sticking to your healthy eating resolution?